Quick Update on iFlash (May 2014)

Loopware — Tags: , — Davey @ May 29, 2014

Hey everyone,

A quick update: since the last iFlash and iFlash Touch updates in March, I’ve started work on a completely new version of iFlash that will share a single core between both the Mac and iOS versions. This rewrite of iFlash for both platforms will allow me to add many desired features (like images and audio on iOS… finally!).

Rewrites take time, so it will be a while before the new iFlash is ready.

I think the result will be worth it though :).

Davey

10 Comments

1. Hi David,

i love iflash. I used it to learn Thai. Back then the phone wasn’t supported, but I used it on my laptop. I haven’t used it for a while, but I am back to learning again, looked for the app, updated it and saw the new iflash touch. Very cool :-) The only thing I would need now that it would sync images as well. Do You think your rewrite will have this feature. That would be great!

Phil

Comment by Philipp — June 2, 2014 @ 7:54 am
  2. Phil: yes, that’s definitely a priority!

Comment by Davey — June 2, 2014 @ 5:29 pm
  3. Hi David,

i´m using iFlash only for a couple of months now and it already proved itself very helpful. I was a little bummed when i realized it would´t show images on mobile devices but am now even more excited to hear about the update. Keep up the good work!!!

From Germany

Chris

Comment by chris — June 5, 2014 @ 4:13 am
  4. Davey,

I’m currently running flash 2.8.2 on OS 10.7.5. I’m reluctant to do the upgrade because i’m afraid that I may loose access to previously created card decks as mentioned in other posts. Also, i’m currently running the most current iOS on my iPhone and iPad and both programs tell me that I have to update my iflash app on my mac so that I can transfer card decks and changes to the iPhone and iPad. Finally, I was trying to use the update feature in iflash program and it said that it doesn’t have access to the loopware servers. Any issues? I did check my internet connection and everything is fine.

Thanks for your help. I actually use your program so much that I now depend on it for my job.

Adam

Comment by Adam — June 29, 2014 @ 6:18 pm
  5. Hey Adam,

Your decks are saved on your Mac wherever you put them, so upgrading won’t erase any decks. Some users have seen the “Recently Opened Decks” list that’s in the Welcome window get cleared, but that doesn’t mean your decks are gone. It just means you have to click the “Open Deck” button and choose them manually :).

Not sure about the connectivity issue. If you’re using the non-App-Store version of iFlash, you can always download the latest version from: http://www.loopware.com/iflash/download.php

Hope this helps!

Davey

Comment by Davey — July 2, 2014 @ 9:16 am
  6. Thanks for the updates. I’m wondering if there are any plans for making subcategories? Right now, we have the ability to create categories of cards in a single deck, but I would like to also have the ability to set up subcategories within categories. Is this a possibility? It would be a great help.

Thanks,
    Michael

Comment by Michael — July 13, 2014 @ 2:52 pm
  7. Hello, after leaving the Mental Case flashcard app and looking for an alternative, I was very happy to see that iFlash had been updated. I left Mental Case because their syncing features, while ambitious, do not work with large libraries. I have been corresponding with their support and they have confirmed this. Do you think you will be incorporating iCloud with seamless syncing features, and will this work for larger libraries?

All the best,

Michael

Comment by Michael Ritter — July 17, 2014 @ 4:38 am
  8. Hey Davey,

Great to hear about an upcoming revision to iFlash. I still continue to use it every day for studying languages.

One feature request I would love to see is the ability to select multiple categories.

Beyond that, providing metrics for items, categories, decks would be useful. Also a way to study items that are “past due,” etc.

Comment by Steven Leslie — July 22, 2014 @ 11:41 am
  9. Michael: Subcategories unfortunately won’t make the cut in the initial version of the redesign, but I’ll keep them in mind for the future!

Michael Ritter: I am planning on incorporating iCloud syncing, but I’m not sure yet how the performance will be for very large libraries. Could you give me an idea of the size of your library?

Steven: Selecting multiple categories is planned for the initial version. I hope it gets in there! I may have to push it out to 3.1 or later if there’s a time crunch (have to release sometime :-).

Comment by Davey — July 24, 2014 @ 11:38 am
  10. Greetings David,

I have a licensed copy of iFlash on my MacBook Pro, version 2.9 in 2014. I just downloaded the iPhone app and tried to sync the iPhone with the Mac. I get the following error message on my iPhone: “Newer Version of iFlash for Mac is required. Update iFlash to the latest version and then try exporting your deck again. When I tried to update iFlash on my Mac, I received the following error: “Counldn’t access Loopware.com servers . . . iFlash couldn’t access the Loopware servers to check for new application updates. Please verify your connection to the internet and try again.” I am writing this comment on that same internet connection without problems. Please assist.

Comment by George — July 28, 2014 @ 12:42 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.